The Irish Theological Association
1. The Association shall be known as The Irish Theological Association.
2. The object of the Association shall be to promote theological studies and for this purpose it shall initiate and foster such common undertakings as may be judged useful or opportune, including the holding of Conferences for discussions, lectures, reading of papers and the general exchange of ideas.
3. Membership shall be ordinary, associate, group and honorary.
4. Ordinary membership shall be open to those in Ireland qualified to teach the theological sciences and Irish theologians abroad.
5. Associate membership shall be open, at the discretion of the Committee, to those who, by reason of their particular function and competence, have a special interest in the theological sciences.
6. Group membership shall be for ordinary members who, as part of a post-primary school’s Religious Education department, shall be deemed a corporate body and thus eligible for a special subscription rate.
7. Honorary Life Membership shall be open to those who have made a noteworthy contribution to theological scholarship. They shall be elected by the Annual General Meeting of the Association on the recommendation of the Executive Committee. The number of Honorary Life Members shall normally not exceed ten at any given time.
8. Members shall pay annually such subscription as the Association shall from time to time determine. Subscriptions shall be due on January 1st each year or, in the case of new members, on admission.
9. Any member whose subscription is more than one year in arrears shall be deemed, after due reminder, to have resigned.
10. A general meeting of ordinary members shall be held annually.
11. The ordinary members at their annual general meeting shall elect from among their number a Committee consisting of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and four ordinary committee members.
12. The ordinary members at their annual general meeting shall elect from among their number a Committee consisting of a Chair, Vice-Chair, Secretary and four ordinary committee members.
13. No member shall hold the office of chair for more than three consecutive years, nor that of vice-chair for more than two consecutive years, nor that of secretary for more than six consecutive years. No member shall serve as an ordinary committee member for more than six consecutive years.
14. Co-options to the Committee, as are necessary to fill the places left vacant on the Committee by retirements or resignations or otherwise, shall be made by the Committee and be subject to ratification at the next Annual General Meeting.
15. Four members of the Committee, one of whom shall be the chair or vice-chair, shall form a quorum.
16. The Association shall hold a Conference at least annually.
17. The arranging of this Conference, including the choice of time, place, theme and lecturers, shall be a matter for the Committee. The Committee shall feel bound to consider carefully any suggestions and requests made by members.
18. Participation in this Conference shall be open to all members of the Association and to such guests as may be invited by the Committee.
19. Questions concerning the interpretation or application of any article of this Constitution shall be decided by the Committee.
ADDITIONS AND AMENDMENTS
20. Questions concerning the interpretation or application of any article of this Constitution shall be decided by the Committee. Additions and Amendments to this Constitution may be enacted by a two-thirds majority vote of ordinary members attending and voting at a general meeting, provided the proposed addition or amendment shall have been submitted to the Committee at least two months beforehand and provided all the ordinary members shall have received notice of the proposal to seek such addition or amendment one month beforehand.
*Being a revised form of the Constitution of 1972, enacted by the Annual General Meeting of the Association on the 3rd January, 1977, and amended by the Annual General Meetings of the Association on the 2nd March 2002 and 19th October 2013.
Final version as amended on 19 October 2013]